22 things I’ve learnt by 22
This post would probably make more sense if I was about to turn 23. I’m not (I have another 3 months yet), but I’m feeling wistful so bear with me… I’ve seen a few Youtube videos along this vein and I kinda love them! They give you an interesting insight into other people’s growth and are grounding on a personal level. So, here goes:
1. If a friendship is worth cherishing, it shouldn’t seem like a chore to keep up.
2. I don’t have to have a massive friendship group to feel content.
3. I don’t have to love socialising and it’s okay to say no to going out or doing anything I don’t want to do, even if it’s not ‘cool’.
4. Being comfortable in my own company is important but hard sometimes.
5. I change as a person every year that goes by, and change isn’t a bad thing.
6. My life doesn’t have to fit a mould or a timeline, I can do everything on my own terms and in my own order. Setting time-stamps to have reached goals by only sets us up to feel like a failure.
7. Routine is good for me and I thrive when I have one. Otherwise, I get complacent. And a bit sad.
8. I’m a hoarder and I NEED to start incorporating more minimalistic tendencies into my life.
9. Family is one of the most important things in the world and shouldn’t be taken for granted.
10. Finding true, genuine love happens when you’re least expecting it and will totally change your life in the best way possible. And it’s scary.
11. I never want to stop learning, regardless of what format it’s in.
12. I want to change the world (*cue gagging noise*).
13. I don’t know how to change the world.
14. I want children so much but know I’m not only not mature enough, but I’m not ready to sacrifice my life just yet for a child when sometimes I feel like one myself.
15. Everything, from menstruation to mental health, becomes easier to deal with when you take the time to understand and listen to your body and mind and find out what works for you.
16. I realise more and more how internalised misogyny and sexism affects and controls my behaviour and I’m trying to break that.
17. I’m learning to stop wearing make-up if I’m using it as a security blanket and I’m caring less about the fact that I’m conventionally ‘prettier’ if I wear it. It doesn’t matter.
18. Climate change terrifies me but I want to use that fear to act. I don’t want to ever become numb or paralysed to injustice or social crises.
19. Nothing will change how crappy the human race can be unless every single one of us has some major shifts in thinking. Which probably won’t happen until it’s too late.
20. My love and respect for our ecosystem grows more and more with every year.
21. Some battles aren’t worth fighting.
22. People will always mock you for having a passion and you can’t force someone to care about something. Focus on yourself and the improvements you can make in the world.
Feel free to leave below the top three things that you’ve learnt so far in your life, however old you are. I’d love to read them! I think we can all learn something from one another. Thanks for reading,